First Meeting of Downtown San Leandro Community Benefit District Thursday, August 22 at 9:00a.m.
The first meeting of the Downtown San Leandro Community Benefit District (CBD) is scheduled for Thursday, August 22, at 9 a.m. at The Englander, located at 101 Parrott St. The meeting will include discussion of incorporation of a management corporation to run the district, and establishment of an Interim Board of Directors. This meeting is open to the public – property owners and businesses in Downtown San Leandro are encouraged to attend.
The Downtown San Leandro CBD will provide a critical funding source to support enhanced improvements and services in the Downtown area. The CBD will fund services for the following:
- Enhanced security for Downtown businesses and property owners;
- Enhanced sidewalk cleaning, steam cleaning and beautification;
- A coordinated voice for property owners and business owners alike and developing new business friendly policies;
- Promotion of Downtown San Leandro to attract new customers, businesses, and residential development Downtown;
- Planting of flowers, tree and landscaping planting and maintenance; and
- Planning of events and activation of public spaces.
On July 15, 2013, the San Leandro City Council concluded a successful community benefit district balloting process by approving the formation of a CBD to generate annual funding in support of Downtown San Leandro. At the City Council meeting, ballots from property owners were tallied and 67%, by weight, voted in favor of formation.
The CBD will generate about $360,000 annually. The funds, raised through an assessment on each benefiting parcel within the district, will be controlled by the business community, residents and property owners themselves.