San Leandro BART Station Parking Changes on December 1st
Construction of the Cornerstone Apartments will begin on Monday, December 1st, while the San Leandro Tech Campus is estimated to start work several weeks later, in mid-December 2014. Both projects will temporarily eliminate public access to the existing parking lot immediately across the street from the downtown San Leandro BART station throughout the approximately 18 month construction period. The main BART parking lot, which has approximately 900 parking spaces, will remain open throughout the construction period. Once completed, the Cornerstone project will include a shared parking garage that will provide 240 permanent underground parking spaces for BART passengers.
In order to assist the public in transitioning during this interim period, and to receive public comments about various proposed alternative parking options, the City Council invites community residents to attend the City Council meeting on Monday December 1st, beginning at 7:00 pm. The meeting will take place in the City Council chambers, located at 835 East 14th Street.
The Cornerstone will be constructed on the site of BART’s surface parking lot, east of San Leandro Boulevard. In order to help reduce demand for the parking spaces that will remain accessible during the construction period, the City staff encourages the public to consider utilizing the following alternative transportation options:
- Parking at nearby BART stations, such as Bay Fair and Oakland Coliseum
- Taking an AC Transit bus to the Downtown San Leandro BART station, or a transbay bus to San Francisco
- West San Leandro residents may ride the free LINKS shuttle to and from the downtown BART station
- Riding a bicycle to BART and locking it up in one of the 40 electronic lockers or 111 bike racks available on site
The City has also identified several other alternative sites nearby in which members of the public also may park. These options include:
- Parking in the Downtown Parking Garage located at East 14th Street & Callan Avenue, or at the parking lot located at the corner of Hays Street and Davis Street. Please call (510) 577-3440 for parking permit questions.
- 15 new spaces will be made available on Alvarado Street and 10 spaces will be made available on Parrott Street, in close proximity to the downtown BART station.
- Several of the existing 4-hour parking spaces along San Leandro Boulevard will be transitioned to all day spaces throughout the duration of construction.
- BART also is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the number of monthly parking permits to assist dedicated commuters.
While the Cornerstone Apartments and San Leandro Tech Campus are exciting and beneficial development projects, the construction period will undoubtedly pose challenges for BART commuters. For more information on alternative transportation and parking options, please visit: www.slparkingpermits.org