San Leandro Introduces New Food Truck Policies to Encourage Dining Options
Both residents and businesses in San Leandro desire a wide range of food options. To satisfy this demand, the City sought out food truck event organizers Food Truck Mafia and held the first San Leandro Street Eats event in Downtown San Leandro last summer. Weekly events have continued and a steady crowd gathers each Tuesday to enjoy a rotating group of food trucks from the Food Truck Mafia roster.
However, the popularity of these events has not satisfied the demand for additional food options in San Leandro. The City recognized that our existing regulations for food trucks were, in some ways, ill-suited to today’s food truck businesses. So, on June 16, 2014, the City Council adopted new mobile food vending (food truck) policies to clear the path for additional food options in San Leandro. The goal of the new policy is to remove impediments to food truck operation, allowing them operate in more places, at more times, while still taking steps to ensure public health and safety.
Highlights of the new policy:
- Significantly reduced fees.
- Simple application – apply for the license on one form.
- Clear and specific rules and operational standards.
- Mobile food vending is now permitted in more locations with an additional two hours during the day.
For existing or prospective mobile food vendors, please take note of the following important dates for obtaining your business license:
- All new food truck and mobile food vendors must have a Mobile Food Vending Business License effective July 15, 2014.
- Mobile food vendors with an existing City permit may use it for the remainder of 2014 and apply for a new Mobile Food Business License by or before January 1, 2015.
For more information on the new policy, check out the Mobile Food Vending Brochure.