Alameda County Small Businesses Grants Available
This week, the East Bay Economic Development Alliance announced the Alameda County CARES grant program, which will distribute $5 million in grant awards up to $5,000 each to eligible businesses across incorporated Alameda County. Applications are due no later than November 30, 2020!
The Alameda County CARES grant program was authorized by the Alameda County Board of Supervisors on November 10, 2020 when the Board redirected $5 million in CARES Act funds for a small business grant program in response to the economic, health and safety impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Grants are intended to assist small businesses with covering necessary costs due to the COVID-19 public health emergency incurred between March 17, 2020 and December 30, 2020. Eligible businesses can receive a one-time grant of up to $5,000.
The program prioritizes grants for small, local and emerging businesses within Alameda County to assist with the costs of business interruption caused by COVID-19. The grant does not require a matching contribution from the applicant and will not require repayment. Funds are limited and not everyone who applies is guaranteed to receive funding.
- Businesses must be physically located in Alameda County (excluding the unincorporated areas) that have been negatively impacted by COVID-19
- Must agree to follow State of California & Alameda County Public Health Department COVID-19 guidelines to maintain a safe workplace
- Must employ between 1 and 25 employees (self-employed individuals are also eligible)
- Must hold an active business license for the location
- Must upload a business IRS form W-9
- Must have been negatively impacted by one of these measures:
- Closure of any length due to COVID-19
- Layoff of one or more staff due to COVID-19
Exclusions: Alameda County CARES grants excludes all chain businesses not headquartered in Alameda County, financial institutions, banks, lenders, landlords of residential or commercial businesses, publicly traded companies, and non-profit entities.
Use of Funds
Funds from Alameda County CARES grants may only be used for unreimbursed costs incurred from March 17, 2020 to December 30, 2020 for the following items:
- Rent/lease/mortgage and utility payments for business facilities
- Operating expenses, such as supplies, materials, insurance, etc.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), sanitation or health & safety equipment
- Reimbursement for digital technology equipment and/or platforms
- Interior & exterior physical adaptations (e.g., partitions, signage, outdoor seating, etc.)
For details, FAQ and online application, please visit https://eastbayeda.org/grants
The deadline to apply is Monday, November 30, 2020, at 11:30PM.