Fourteenth Downtown San Leandro Farmers Market Will Open on March 24
The fourteenth annual San Leandro Downtown Farmers’ Market will open on Wednesday, March 24th, with its usual hours of 4pm to 8pm, at Parrott St. and E. 14th St. The market is scheduled to run until October 6, 2021.
Sponsored by the City of San Leandro and managed by the Pacific Coast Farmers’ Market Association, the market provides customers a chance to shop for fresh fruits and vegetables in open-air surroundings and provide local farmers an outlet to sell their produce.
Certified Farmers’ Markets are identified as Essential Businesses that may continue with modified operations under the Alameda County Shelter-In-Place order. As always, customers may continue to use SNAP to purchase at the market and may participate in the market match program.
Market services are modified to focus only on the necessary purchasing of food and allow for social distancing and safe food handling. Safety modifications will include:
- Absolutely no sampling
- There will be limited hot food vending – to go only
- Information booth will only have information on the coronavirus – no recipes or other info
- Tents will be spaced so as to reduce customer density
- No live music or entertainment
- No chairs, tables or other sitting areas
Customers are encouraged to practice further safe practices, including:
- Be sure to thoroughly wash all fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Practice social distancing, do not form lines, and shop quickly to allow others space.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often, for at least 20 seconds.
- If you are sick, stay home and ask a friend or family member to pick things up for you instead.
- Wash your reusable produce bags between visits.
- Only touch fruit/veggies that you intend to buy or have the farmer pick out your produce.
These modifications will be in place until it has been determined to be safe to add additional services. Check the Downtown San Leandro Farmers’ Market Facebook Page as well as on the Pacific Coast Farmers’ Market Association website for updates.